Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Endings to Movies That You Have Seen That Felt Lik

  1. #1
    c_77
    Guest c_77's Avatar

    Post

    John Boorman's "Hell in the Pacific", starring Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune. These guys are both awsome actors; too bad, too bad...It's a story about two enemies during WWII being trapped together on a small, deserted island. Each one captures and imprisons the other man, until finally, being bored of this struggle, decide to team up and build a raft to use to escape. They end up in an island in somewhere in the south pacific, in a bombed out base, which was once occupied by Japanese infantry. They share some smokes and a leftover bottle of sake, and then a bomb from a second air-raid is suddenly dropped on them! Of course the camera shakes so that we left knowing this is truly, "THE END". This is the only bad part of the movie!
    Later-Chris

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    I think when I saw that movie. I wasn't even a teenager.

    At the time, I thought it was some kind of a "contest" and the winner's army got the island.

    Toward the end of the movie, the two are almost dead, Both armys, not being able to communicate with their own guy, each send a new guy to the island.

    The four have some kind of encounter...I forget.

    Was that the same movie?


    ------------------
    Alex

  3. #3
    c_77
    Guest c_77's Avatar

    Post

    Hi Alex,
    No, I think you've got a different war movie in mind. The only men you ever see are Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune, two real tough guys! I recently saw Boorman's newer "Taylor of Panama", with Peirce Brosnan and Jamie Lee Curtis. I did not like it very much. Boorman has made some really great ones like: 1967's "Point Blank" starring Lee Marvin, "Excalibur" about the King Arthur legend, and last but not least "Deliverence", with Burt Reynolds. A very fine director in my book!
    Later-Chris

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by c_77 (edited September 28, 2001).]

  4. #4
    fandini
    Guest fandini's Avatar

    Post

    Hey People,

    I am the one that brought up ?Fatal Attraction? in the other topic. I was trying to make the point that American audiences will not accept a tragic ending. I believe that the movie was actually filmed with a happy ending for U.S. audiences only and the ending the way it was originally written was left intact for foreign distribution.

    Another good example was the American remake of ?The Vanishing?. In the original French production, a man?s wife disappears soon after he promises her that he will never leave her alone. He obsesses over finding out what happened to her for years to the point where it occupies his entire life. He is confronted by his wife?s kidnapper who promises to show the man what has happened to his wife but only if he first drinks a cup of coffee with a tranquilizer in it to put him to sleep. His curiosity is too strong to resist and he drinks the potion and falls asleep. When he wakes up, he finds that he has been buried alive. That is how the story ends? (Not the most uplifting story but it makes sense) Unless you saw the American version with Keifer Sutherland in which he is dug up by? I think it was Keifer?s new love interest that was developed somewhere in the second act and there is an exciting and well choreographed fight scene with the kidnapper (Jeff Bridges) and I don?t recall exactly how it ended but I am going to go out on a limb and say it was? HAPPY!


    ------------------
    Dan

  5. #5
    Scottness
    Guest Scottness's Avatar

    Post

    Jurassic Park III - it was jsut getting going then it's allover and so simply too ( won't detail it here in case someone hasn't seen it) ---- and that tacked on happy ending of the first cut of BladeRunner -- totally loved the film, but that ending -- the execs were worried it was too dark

    hmmmmm


    Scot M


    ------------------

  6. #6
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    Yes, the dark ending...can anyone say Star Wars II, the dark side won, the box office lost....

    ...compared to I and III it lost.

    The weird thing about II, it looked like the good guys just ate it without putting up a good enough fight.

    I left the theatre depressed.

    I didn't like the feeling.

    How pathetic of me...oh well.

    ------------------
    Alex

    [This message has been edited by Alex (edited September 29, 2001).]

  7. #7
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post



    Fatal Attraction was mentioned by another poster on another topic post as having a cop-out ending. I agree with that sentiment.

    I vote for "Desperately Seeking Susan".
    Instead of dealing with the difficult task of dealing with two men in the lead actresses life due to her amnesia, the story line practically turns her husband into Gengis Khan II at the end of the movie to make the choice obvious.

    I hate when they do that.

    Any other movies where the ending really "copped-out". And why do you think they did it?

    ------------------
    Alex

  8. #8
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    I can think of a few examples.

    Wisdom, starring Demi Moore and written, directed and starring Emilio Estevez.

    Horrible movie, (even though they filmed a scene in my Mom's store, Roseville Market), and to top it off, it ended with one of those lame "oh, it was all a dream" ending, where he wakes up in the bathtop after dozing off and dreaming the whole movie.
    Why anyone would finance a piece of crap like this is beyond me.

    Also, I thought the ending in Limbo was just the biggest letdown ever!
    Pretty good movie (kind of slow) but man, what a terrible ending.
    Like they ran out of ideas and/or money, so they just stopped.

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  9. #9
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by c_77:
    Hi Alex,
    No, I think you've got a different war movie in mind. The only men you ever see are Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune, two real tough guys! I recently saw Boorman's newer "Taylor of Panama", with Peirce Brosnan and Jamie Lee Curtis. I did not like it very much. Boorman has made some really great ones like: 1967's "Point Blank" starring Lee Marvin, "Excalibur" about the King Arthur legend, and last but not least "Deliverence", with Burt Reynolds. A very fine director in my book!
    Later-Chris
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I swear I think it's the same movie....these guys are the only ones on the screen for 90% of the movie, but I remember a scene near the end of the movie where two fresh replacements come onto the island.



    ------------------
    Alex

  10. #10
    8th Man
    Guest 8th Man's Avatar

    Post

    Matt,
    having read many of your posts in the past few weeks I'm rather surprised by your take on Limbo.
    I'll admit it was a bit slow however there are plenty of films that benefit fron that kind of pacing and I think this is one of them.
    But the topic is endings and I think Limbo has exactly the ending it should. I don't know how else it could even end. I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't seen it ' but the title is significant and the end has so much of a structured purpose worked into it without being too gimmicky.
    Oh, did anyone ever hear about the original script of Pretty Woman when it was called $3000? Not happy, I think the man dumps her at the side of the road and throws the cash at her as she yells names at him from the gutter while he drives away.
    Then Disney bought it and it became the feel good hit of the year.

    ------------------
    PRM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •